Miskin is situated near Pontyclun in Mid Glamorgan. There has been a water driven corn mill on this site for most of the last 400 years. Since 1929 the site of the mill and the area around it has been in continuous use by Scouts for camping and training purposes. At first a nominal rent was paid to the Lord of the Manor for the use of the site and then in 1965 it was purchased by the Welsh Scout Council. In 1985 it was handed over to the joint ownership of the Mid and South Glamorgan County Scout Councils.
There are two buildings over 250 years old, the Mill and the Miller's Cottage set in about 3 acres of flat, tree lined fields which are kept in good condition for camping by regular mowing These fields are bounded to the south by the River Ely across which a permanent footbridge, built in 1992, provides access to about 4 acres of wood-land known as Mill Wood.
The campsite is well provided with brick dining shelters and barbecue style fireplaces.There is also a permanent campfire circle. A car park is provided, but please note that no vehicles are allowed onto the campsite proper.
The entrance showing the car park, with the Cottage on the right, the Scout Hall on the left.
The campfire circle with a shelter in the foreground and the Mill buildings in the distance
The view from the Mill